This year, as with every year, I have a lot to be thankful for. I have those typical things that we all are thankful for: great family, healthy kids, house, plenty of food, employment, and such. This year, I have spent a good amount of thinking what I’m most thankful for. Here is my list of 5 things I’m thankful for:
1) I am thankful for my scattered shoes throughout the house because it means my daughter admires me and wants to be like me. She tries on all of my high heels leaves the discarded ones surrounding the closet and then walks around in her chosen pair. As I pick them up or trip on them, I’m reminded that I’m lucky to be the mom to a very great little girl.
2) I am thankful for my sassy two and four year-old because it means they are growing up and trying out decision-making. It’s a challenge at times to hear “no”, “I don’t like it”, “I don’t wanna…”, but ultimately this is such an important phase for them to go through. To learn how to negotiate relationships and make decisions is essential for when they become adults. I am thankful for the opportunity to help them learn how to do both of these.
3) I am thankful for the constant rotating piles of laundry between folded, ready to put away, and ready to be washed because it means I’ve been granted the gift of a wonderful husband and two beautiful children. If I didn’t have the laundry back-up, I either wouldn’t have my family or have the all more important family time.
4) A busy holiday season because it reminds me that we are very blessed with family and friends. Although the holidays can seem extra busy and extra stressful, I am thankful for this time. It gives me time to spend with extended family and friends. It provides me with time to express my gratefulness to them for their love and friendship.
5) My broken snowman because it reminds me to look at the world like a child. Children are amazing little creatures. Everything can be transformed into a game. Their imagination is endless which is exactly how my snowman was broken. I watch them learn and play and feel very blessed to have them but I also am reminded to relax a bit and to play some myself.